Florida Press Educational Services, Inc. (FPES) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization of newspaper professionals that promotes literacy, particularly for young people.
FPES members include daily and weekly newspapers throughout the state of Florida. Through its member newspapers, FPES serves educators, students and families in all 67 Florida counties.
The primary objectives of FPES are to:
- Teach students to read the newspaper critically
- Nurture the desire to read effectively
- Stimulate a concern for public issues
- Communicate an understanding of the free press in our society
- Encourage involvement in the self-governing process
- Promote the use of the newspaper as a textbook in education
FPES was founded in 1980 as Florida Newspaper in Education Coordinators, Inc. (FNIEC).