FPES membership offers many advantages to NIE programs and newspapers. Benefit from the assistance, knowledge and experience available to you within a network of Florida Newspaper in Education professionals. Member benefits include:
- Opportunity to reach Millennials and post-Millennials throughout the state of Florida.
- Assistance with curriculum development and Florida Standards compliance.
- Assistance with Alliance for Audited Media audit compliance.
- Opportunity to participate in statewide revenue-producing educational publications and other projects.
- Access to members-only library of NIE materials, resources and best practices.
- Opportunity to connect with statewide government agencies and professional organizations affiliated with FPES.
- Opportunity to participate in statewide advertising, marketing and promotional activities.
- Opportunity to use FPES 501(c)(3) status to raise tax-deductible funds to support your newspaper’s educational services program.
Training and professional development opportunities
- Annual Summer Training Conference: This three-day conference, held in conjunction with the annual Florida Press Association/Florida Society of News Editors Convention, offers in-depth professional development as well as the opportunity to network with hundreds of NIE, editorial and marketing professionals. The Friend of NIE Award is presented annually at the convention. FPES members receive a substantial discount on conference registration fees and lodging. View the 2015 Summer Training Conference program.
- Annual Fall Training/Business Meeting: This one-day meeting offers a variety of training sessions, roundtable discussions and business updates. There is no registration fee for FPES members to attend this meeting. View the 2015 Fall Training/Business meeting program.
- General membership conference calls: These bi-monthly calls offer ongoing and timely training and support on NIE topics including audits, revenue opportunities and best practices.
- Scholarships and travel stipends: FPES offers financial assistance for members to attend out-of-town FPES events.
Awards and recognition
- Jill Wilson Excellence in Curriculum Award: Awarded annually to an FPES member at the FPES Summer Training Conference, this award is in memory of the late Lucy Jill Wilson, longtime educator and FPES member. Read Jill Wilson’s obituary.
- Best Practices Award: Awarded annually to an FPES member at the FPES Summer Training Conference, this award recognizes the most innovative best practice of the previous year.