Each month during the school year, FPES provides its member newspapers with educational resources for important holidays and observances.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan. 15)
Signed into law in January 1983 by President Ronald Reagan, the national Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday is a celebration of Dr. King’s contribution to the United States and to humankind. This American federal holiday is observed on the third Monday of each January, which is near King’s birthday (January 15, 1929).
- Newspaper in Education Using the News activities: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- The King Center
- MLK Day: Corporation for National and Community Service
- Martin Luther King Jr. – Nobel Lecture
- Martin Luther King, Jr. – The History Channel
- Stanford University Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute
Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! (Jan. 22-26)
The goal of Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! is to promote literacy and excellent reading habits in the students of Florida. The theme of Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! 2018 is Find Yourself in a Book!
- Newspaper in Education Using the News activities: Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida!
- Florida Department of Education Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida!
- Tampa Bay Times Newspaper Fun with Raymond flash cards
- Keep it Real Teacher’s Guide
- Alternate Times: Exploring Science Fiction Literature
National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
Human trafficking is modern-day slavery and involves the use of force, fraud or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act. Every year, millions of men, women and children are trafficked in countries around the world, including the United States. It is estimated that human trafficking generates many billions of dollars of profit per year, second only to drug trafficking as the most profitable form of transnational crime. Florida is one of the top three human trafficking destinations in the U.S.
- Newspaper in Education Using the News activities: National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
- Child Trafficking Middle School UNICEF Lesson Plans
- Polaris Project
- Florida Attorney General’s Office: You Can Stop It
- Department of Homeland Security Blue Campaign
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Administration For Children & Families
President’s Day (Feb. 19)
African American History Month
Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
Newspaper in Education Week (Mar. 5-9)
National Nutrition Month
Women’s History Month
National Library Week (Apr. 8-14)
Holocaust Remembrance Day/Yom Hashoah (Apr. 12)
Earth Day (Apr. 22)
Financial Literacy Month